What is a PSE Intervention?
Policy change seeks to change laws, ordinances, rules, or regulations. Policy change may target government entities at the national, state, and/or local levels. Policy change can also target organizations such as schools, childcare centers, businesses, or religious institutions.
Systems change seeks to shift the way a community makes decisions about policies, programs, and the allocation of resources, and influence how communities provide services to residents.
Environmental change alters physical or social environments where people live, work, learn, and play. This may include developing or enhancing infrastructure or promoting social norms to shift behaviors within environments.
The PSE READI Tool
What is a PSE READI?
A PSE READI has approximately 25 questions and will take about 15-20 minutes to complete. A user will select a response option for each question. There are no text fields in the PSE READI. As there are no right or wrong answers, a user can select the best option for each question.
Why should I use at PSE READI?
Assess: You can take the online PSE READI to assess your community’s readiness and capacity to implement community nutrition PSEs.
Plan: You will get a report tailored to your community to help you plan next steps and guide community nutrition PSE implementation.
Act: You can explore our PSE Resources, which includes more than 1,000 tools, guides, and resources to put your community nutrition plan into action.
Why was the PSE READI developed?
• Provide a tool to assess readiness and capacity factors in the diverse communities where community nutrition PSEs are being implemented.
• Give users tailored guidance and resources to optimize success with community nutrition PSE implementation in targeted communities
Ultimately, our goal is to help communities seeking to make the healthy choice, the easy choice for low-income populations.
How was the PSE READI tool created?
• Lee, E., Dalton, J., Ngendahimana, D., Bebo, P., Davis, A., Remley, D., Smathers, C., & Freedman, D.A. (2017). Consensus-based assessment tool of readiness and capacity for implementing community-based nutrition interventions: A case study using farmers’ markets. Translational Behavioral Medicine, 7(3); 506-516. (PDF found here)
• Parsons, A.A., Monteban, M., Lee, E., Bebo, P., Zubieta, A.C., Ginetti, S., Hewitt, J., & Freedman, D. (2019). Indicators of Readiness and Capacity for Implementation of Healthy Eating Strategies in Childcare Settings Serving Low-income Children. Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior, 51(4); 465-477. (PDF found here)
• Cascio, M.A., Lee, E., Vaudrin, N., & Freedman, D.A. (2019). A Team-Based Approach to Open Coding: Considerations for Creating Intercoder Consensus. Field Methods. https://doi.org/10.1177/1525822X19838237 (PDF found here)
• Lee, E., Smathers, C., Zubieta, A. C., Ginnetti, S., Shah, A., & Freedman, D. A. (2019). Identifying indicators of readiness and capacity for implementing farm to school interventions. Journal of School Health, 89(5); 373-381. (PDF found here)
• Sanchez-Flack, J., Joshi, K., Lee, E.E., & Freedman, D.A. (2021). Indicators of readiness and capacity for implementation of healthy food retail interventions. Journal of Agriculture, Food Systems, and Community Development, 10(3), 1-17. (PDF found here)
How do I access a PSE READI?
Creating a User Account
What information will I need to create a user account?
How do I create a user account?
How will my email addressed be used?
Using the PSE READI Tool
How much time will it take to complete a PSE READI?
How do I select a PSE READI?
1. Select a PSE READI:
Pick one of the four PSE READI tools: Farmers’ Markets, Healthy Food Retail, Farm to School, and Healthy Eating in Childcare.
2. Before you complete a PSE READI:
• Choose your service area by thinking about the area(s) in which you do your work
• Within the area(s) you work, choose one target area or community you would like to assess with a PSE READI. This area may be an entire county, a city or town, a cluster of zip codes, a specific census tract, a school district, or a combination of these.
• You will be asked to define your service area by checking one category from a list (e.g., county, zip code, census tract, name of city or town) and providing the corresponding information.
3. Decide to take a PSE READI as an individual or as a team
This decision tree can help you determine if you should take the PSE READI as a team or individual.
4. Take a PSE READI:
A PSE READI has approximately 25 questions. You will select one response for each question by choosing the best fit. There are no right or wrong answers. There are no open-ended questions on a PSE READI.
How should I name my PSE READI?
How often should I take the PSE READI?
Should I take the PSE READI as a team or individual?
A key difference between taking the PSE READI as an individual or as a team is when and how the report of tailored recommendations and resources is generated.
Reports for an individual user: If you take a PSE READI as an individual, you will receive a report with three evidence-based recommendations and resources tailored to your specific service area or targeted community. The report will be generated upon completion of a PSE READI and will be saved in your user account for future reference.
Reports for a team: After each team member completes a PSE READI, one report of tailored recommendations and resources will be generated and sent to the team leader (the individual who created the team and selected and invited team members). Results of a team PSE READI are part of a collective process and are designed to be shared with participating team members. The team leader is encouraged to invite all team members to a debriefing meeting to review the results of the report together.
What if I have more than one service area?
What if I have more than one PSE focus area?
How do I answer the PSE READI?
Don’t Know = If the question may apply, but you are unsure how to answer the question
Not Applicable = If the question does not apply to your area of work.
What happens after I complete a PSE READI?
If you are taking a PSE READI as an individual, the report will be generated immediately after you complete the assessment. The report will be saved in your user account for future reference.
If you are taking it as a team, the report will only generate after all team members have completed it or the team leader closes the assessment. Please note, only the team leader will be able to generate this report but has the ability to share it with team members.
What does a report include?
How can I use the County Level Report?
For Team Leaders
What happens if I decide to take a PSE READI as a team?
• Decide whom to invite
• Determine how long the PSE READI will be available for team members to complete
• Generate the report once all team members have completed the assessment
• Choose how to best share the report of tailored recommendations and resources with your team.